What We Offer
Worship and Music
Programs for Children and Youth
Adult Religious Education
Upcoming Special Events
Ministry and Pastoral Care
Other Groups and Activities
Our congregation reaches out to the local community and the wider world in many ways.
2014-2015 Share the Plate Applications
The Social Impact Committee is pleased to offer an application for our 2014-2015 Share the Plate program year to selected not for profit organizations that provide services supporting our UU Principles. Each Sunday, one-half of the cash donation offerings will be shared with one of the selected not for profit groups. The Social Impact Committee reviews the applications, decides which groups are approved and the number of weeks the groups will be designated for the offering.
All applications must be returned by July 31, 2014. All current year agencies will be sent applications.
The application form can be downloaded here, or one may contact Karen Rose at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application.
The application cover letter can be downloaded here.
Share the Plate
When we take the collection each Sunday, we give away half of the non-designated cash to a charitable or social service organization. In one recent church year, we gave away over $5,000. Recipients have included:
- A Day of Remembrance/Jon Buckley Memorial Community Garden
- Asociacion Empoderamiento (Empowerment Association)
- CASA of Peoria County (Court Appointed Special Advocates)
- Center for Prevention of Abuse
- Central Illinois Chapter of the Interfaith Alliance.
- Central Illinois FRIENDS of PWA, Inc.
- Children’s Home Association of Illinois
- Common Place Family Learning Center
- Gifts in the Moment
- Habitat for Humanity Greater Peoria Area
- Hope Renewed Youth Conference, Inc.
- Look. It’s My Book!
- Planned Parenthood of Illinois
- Prairie State Legal Services
- Refresh & Retreat Stroke Camp
- Wholesome Food Fund
More Ways We Help Others
- The children in our Sunday school classes take part in their own social impact projects, such as cooking for the Food Not Bombs program.
- We participate in a youth mentoring program in partnership with the Children’s Home Association of Illinois.
- We collect items for local food pantries.
- Our church is a member of the Illinois Peoples's Action (CIOP/IPA), an ecumenical organization that works for justice in local communities.
- Our Covenant Circles plan and carry out community service projects.
- Our church supports and encourages the many individuals in our congregation who are active in social service, social justice, and environmental causes, professionally or as volunteers.
Social Impact Committee
The Social Impact Committee leads our impact and social justice efforts. The committee is responsible for:
- Bringing the congregation information about social justice issues.
- Presenting the congregation with opportunities for social action.
- Advocating for existing social issue programs that reflect our UU values.
- Coordinating the Share the Plate program.
- Working with other church groups on social impact programs.
- Helping to coordinate direct assistance efforts, when possible.